Due to our Annual Company Training, our Customer Happiness Center will be closed on Friday, December 9th. We will reopen on Saturday, December 10th. We apologize for the inconvenience.
Here’s the thing: Driving is a learned skill. Meaning, no one just knows how to drive
naturally (despite what the older jokesters in your family tell you!). So it
takes practice and, oftentimes, Behind The Wheel Training with professional
instructors. Though the State of Connecticut doesn’t require a new driver to
take any professional Behind The Wheel Training, The Next Street team strongly
recommends that every new driver take some Private Driving Lessons with us.
GO AHEAD, GET BEHIND THE WHEEL
Before scheduling Behind The Wheel Training with The Next Street, you may want some intel on the basics. Here’s everything you'll need to know about Private Driving Lessons with a professional instructor.
State Regulations & Requirements
- The Connecticut DMV requires new teen drivers (16 and 17 years old) to record 40 hours of time behind the wheel with a trainer. This time can be done with any person that has held their license in the US for at least 4 years with no suspensions as your trainer.
- Any time done with The Next Street counts towards the 40 hours. As an example, if you register for the Full Driver Education Course that comes with 8 hours of driving, 32 hours would have to be completed on your own time for a total of 40 hours.
- Adult Students (18 and older) do not have a behind the wheel training requirement, though we still recommend an adult log at least 40 hours of practice before going it alone.
What’s Included in Private Lessons
- The Next Street Private Driving Lessons are 2-hour appointments where the student is in the driver's seat and a highly trained instructor is in the passenger seat.
- The lessons are all done in one of our dual controlled Driver Training cars.
- Private Driving Lessons include parking maneuvers, highway driving, city driving, defensive driving techniques, road scanning, or whatever specific skill you ask The Next Street driving instructor to help you with.
- We will challenge the students’ abilities so that they are comfortable and confident when they get behind the wheel on their own.
Amount of Lessons Typically Needed
- The Next Street recommends that new drivers complete at least 8 hours of private lessons before becoming licensed.
- In 8 hours of lessons, all of the core skills you need for a foundation of safe driving will be covered.
- At least one week is recommended in between lessons, during which time the student must practice the skills that were taught or, from years of experience, we find that they will be forgotten.
- The Next Street sells private lesson packages up to the 40 hour CT state requirement.
- If you are a busy family and cannot complete any practice time on your own, we recommend you consider a larger package of training hours.
- You can add these hours on at the time of enrollment, or at any later date.
- If you have some behind the wheel experience (such as an international driver's license), you may consider a 2 hour or 4 hour package of lessons. This will help brush you up on the local laws and prepare you for the testing practices of the DMV.
Purchasing Private Lessons
- Private Driving Lesson prices begin at $90/hour. We do offer discounted pricing when lessons are bought bulk.
- Private Driving Lessons can be purchased at the time of enrollment or added to an existing account at any time by visiting the Student Portal or calling 800.732.8090.
- A minimum of 2 hours of Private Driving Lessons must be purchased to take your License Test with The Next Street.